In the beginning of 2011 under new ownership, minor renovation where made to the exterior of the building starting with the cleaning and painting of the brick and roof repair. The beams which are original needed to be re-supported and some replaced. All the sub-floors were replaced and new hardwood maple flooring was installed. The reconstruction of the drill hall was completed in Spring of 2012.
The Pawtucket Armory was designed by William R. Walker and Son a well known architectural firm in Providence, Rhode Island. Construction of the armory began in 1894 and was completed in 1895, built of red brick, granite and limestone. The Armory was built for the Tower Light Infantry of Pawtucket, the Kearny Light Infantry, Company G2 Regiment Infantry of Cedar Falls and the Pawtucket Horse Guards First Cavalry Battalion. More than 1000 people attended a grand ball to commemorate the opening of the armory on June 12th 1895. The Armory served as a public meeting place, used for Social Security sign up, Girl Scout functions, the circus, St. Patrick's Day festivities and dances. It was the scene of the 1976 Bicentennial Ball and was used for mayor inaugural balls into the 1990's. In 2005-2010 the armory housed the Jacqueline M. Walsh School for the Performing & Visual Arts. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Pawtucket Armory Arts Center LLC © All rights reserved.
(Photos are a courtesy of The National Guard)