One of the major works of William R. Walker & Son, the Armory began construction in 1894 and was completed the following year. Built of red brick, granite, and limestone trim, the Armory was initially built for the Tower Light Infantry of Pawtucket, the Kearny Light Infantry, Company G2 Regiment Infantry of Cedar Falls and the Pawtucket Horse Guards First Cavalry Battalion.
Prominently sited near Pawtucket's central business district, the Armory features a Richardsonian Romanesque entry recessed under a round archway with wrought iron gates. It has a distinctive main block with crenelated towers at the front two corners. The Armory's Drill Hall extends behind the building along Fountain Avenue.
The Armory was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
From 2005-2010, the Armory housed the Jaqueline M. Walsh School for the Performing and Visual Arts. Renovated in 2011 and 2012 the Armory is now officially known as the Pawtucket Armory Arts Center and is a wedding and event venue as well as a home to many local businesses and artists.